[MATRIX-SIG] random number generator?

Paul F. Dubois dubois1@llnl.gov
Mon, 27 Oct 1997 07:04:33 -0800

If your project is large and you may have need for independent random number
streams then consider URNG. This is part of the LLNL distribution available
at ftp-icf.llnl.gov/pub/python. Generally in our simulations we don't want
turning on or off some piece of physics to change the answer some other piece
of physics is getting. URNG allows you to create a separate state for each
piece of physics.
The design is explained in my book "Object Technology for Scientific
Computing". But to answer the obvious question, the algorithm is efficient;
it does not, for example, save the state after every call.