[MATRIX-SIG] NumPy in the Python 1.5 era

Konrad Hinsen hinsen@ibs.ibs.fr
Thu, 30 Oct 1997 12:34:25 +0100

> definite recommendations.  My feeling is that NumPy should be pared
> down to the minimum number of array operations and that any other
> operations that have been added for easy of use should be placed in
> another module.  This, in my naive opinion, would then define the
> NumPy array class and probably make it easier for the Matrix-SIG to
> discuss and develop other specialized stand-alone modules, such as the
> Linear Algebra module.

I doubt we could ever agree on a "minimum set" of array operations.
It depends too much on what you are doing. But one possible
hierarchical structure would certainly be to have just the
array constructor in the top level module and everything else
in submodules.

> I have also thought about enhancing the array module to include
> heterogeneous arrays, where the right most index is defined by a
> structure format.  This would provide improved performance for many

This is one example of array specializations. One reasonable approach
to this problem would be to use the ExtensionClass system and thereby
make arrays subclassable in C and Python.

> I would also like the Matrix-SIG to decide on floating point
> exceptions.  Jim Hugunin and I discussed this briefly at the IPC6.  I
> suggested that we settle on the IEEE FPE, since it seems to me that
> all processors will eventually conform to this standard and that most
> do already, e.g. x86, PPC, Alpha, MIPS, etc.  (Bye, Bye VAX).  We
> could then define (or let the user define) one of the many NAN values
> to indicate a NULL data type.

I agree that IEEE is only reasonable choice. We could still try to make
NumPy work without IEEE, but then also without exception handling.
Konrad Hinsen                          | E-Mail: hinsen@ibs.ibs.fr
Laboratoire de Dynamique Moleculaire   | Tel.: +33-4.76.88.99.28
Institut de Biologie Structurale       | Fax:  +33-4.76.88.54.94
41, av. des Martyrs                    | Deutsch/Esperanto/English/
38027 Grenoble Cedex 1, France         | Nederlands/Francais