[MATRIX-SIG] Weird bug

Konrad Hinsen hinsen@ibs.ibs.fr
Mon, 1 Sep 1997 20:14:12 +0200

> Naive users are strongly discouraged from using the 3-argument numeric
> functions and it is exactly this sort of behavior that is behind these
> warnings.  If you realize that 'a' and transpose(a) both point to the
> same region of memory this "bug" makes perfect sense.  In fact, there's
> no alternative way of implementing things that would make this "bug" go
> away without making 3-argument numeric functions use a temporary array
> for storing their result, which would completely eliminate their
> usefulness.

Still there should never be a wrong resulr - either use a temporary array,
or raise an exception. I guess the three-argument form could easily raise
an error whenever the last argument shares data space with one of the
other two arrays without actually being the same arraay; that should
cover all critical cases.
Konrad Hinsen                          | E-Mail: hinsen@ibs.ibs.fr
Laboratoire de Dynamique Moleculaire   | Tel.: +33-4.76.88.99.28
Institut de Biologie Structurale       | Fax:  +33-4.76.88.54.94
41, av. des Martyrs                    | Deutsch/Esperanto/English/
38027 Grenoble Cedex 1, France         | Nederlands/Francais