[Matrix-SIG] precision of numbers

Dave Stinchcombe dars@soton.ac.uk
Fri, 3 Apr 1998 11:03:49 +0100 (BST)

Hello again,

I've been doing some more work (shock horror), and this time I want to be
able to increase the precision of calculation. This is because I can't seem
to make a parameter move in small enough steps to pick up a solution where
I know one exists. At the moment I recursively increase precision in
traditional bisection fashion, until a zero is found, except I run out of
precision. Zero is obviously a very small number and not an actual zero,
I chose |1e-10|.

Is there another number type, or is there a precision parameter in Numpy,
or can I fool it with a simple trick(I can think of one for my particular
problem, but howabout in general)??? All answers gratefully received.

Yours
Dave