[MATRIX-SIG] compiling NumPy for Windows

Konrad Hinsen hinsen@ibs.ibs.fr
Tue, 3 Feb 1998 17:26:06 +0100

> Here's the issue -- with the latest Microsoft Visual compiler suite, the
> GUI is the predominant way to manipulate the build process.  While it can
> (somewhat) read old makefiles, and it can export makefiles, I think there
> will be less and less support for that over the years -- for example, I

I'd call that a serious problem for scientific applications, where
distribution of source code is nothing unusual. Even if you adopt the
Microsoft point of view that non-Windows systems don't matter, you
still need executables for different chips (currently Intel and
Alpha), and you can't expect every program author to have all systems
available for producing binaries.

> Well, there is no equivalent to Makefile.pre.in on PC's.  There's the
> registry, which tells you about things like version number & where the
> binaries & Lib directory are, but there is no way to find out
> automatically where the source tree is.

You don't need the source tree for compiling extensions. If you can
locate the libraries and header files, that's sufficient.

> Such an extension compilation tool would be easier to write if one could
> assume that Mark Hammond's Registry and COM tools were installed, as
> they'd make talking to the registry and compiler much easier.

That doesn't sound like an unrealistic assumption.

> I haven't heard anyone on this list mention anything but Microsoft's
> compiler.

But there's a port of gcc plus some Unix tools to Windows, right?
Would it make sense to recommend this to Windows users? It should
make porting Unix stuff much easier.

Konrad.
Konrad Hinsen                          | E-Mail: hinsen@ibs.ibs.fr
Laboratoire de Dynamique Moleculaire   | Tel.: +33-4.76.88.99.28
Institut de Biologie Structurale       | Fax:  +33-4.76.88.54.94
41, av. des Martyrs                    | Deutsch/Esperanto/English/
38027 Grenoble Cedex 1, France         | Nederlands/Francais