[MATRIX-SIG] The Python interface to PGPLOT graphics library

Nick Patavalis npat@ariadne.di.uoa.gr
Wed, 18 Feb 1998 21:45:41 +0200

Quoting Nick Patavalis (npat@ariadne.di.uoa.gr)
  Subject was: Re: [MATRIX-SIG] The Python interface to PGPLOT graphics library
  Date: Wed, Feb 18, 1998 at 08:25:39PM +0200

> P.S. I' ll try getting the most recent version of NumPy,
> build it again, and tell you if something goes wrong...

Here's EXACTLY what I did in order to build NumPy version 1.0b3:

1. Get NumPy-1.0b3.tar.gz, and NumPyLib-1.0b2.tar.gz from:

        http://www.sls.lcs.mit.edu/jjh/numpy/NumPy-1.0b3.tar.gz
        http://www.sls.lcs.mit.edu/jjh/numpy/NumPyLib-1.0b2.tar.gz

2. Unpack them in any directory:
        > cd /tmp
        > gzip -dc ~/downloads/NumPy-1.0b3.tar.gz | tar -xvf -
        > gzip -dc ~/downloads/NumPyLib-1.0b2.tar.gz | tar -xvf -

3. Copy Makefile.pre.in from <PYTHON 1.4 SOURCE>/Misc to the Numpy
   build directory:

        > cd NumPy
        > cp Makefile.pre.in Makefile.pre.in.orig
        > cp /opt/python/src-1.4/Misc/Makefile.pre.in .

4. Create the Makefile

        > make -f Makefile.pre.in boot

5. Build NumPy:

        > make

   I got several innocent warnings, but everything built fine.

6. Check for the existence of "libnumpymodule.so":

        > ls lib*.so
        libnumpymodule.so*

NOTE: In order to see the command that _actually_ created
   "libnumpymodule.so" I also did:

        > rm libnumpymodule.so
        > make
        gcc -shared arrayobject.o ufuncobject.o  -o libnumpymodule.so

Hope this helps

Nick

Nick Patavalis               Snail-mail:
(npat@ariadne.di.uoa.gr)         Thironos 11,
University of Athens,            161 21 Athens,
Computer Science Dept.           Hellas.