[MATRIX-SIG] LinearAlgebra

Oliver Gathmann Oliver Gathmann <gathmann@scar.utoronto.ca>
Fri, 20 Feb 1998 12:58:48 -0500 (EST)

Konrad,

how did you achieve this optimization of singular_value_decomposition? To
me, the simplest way seems to be to change the two first arguments passed
on to the dgesvd/zgesvd routines of lapack_lite from "A" ('compute all
columns') to "S" ('compute only min(n,m) columns'). If that is the
approach you have chosen, why not turn this into keyword arguments with a
default value like this:

def singular_value_decomposition(a,left='S',right='S')

and pass these keyword values into lapack_lite? This works fine for me;
and, yes, I actually did make use of the "A" option in some of my code
(although I don't recall why).

Oliver

Oliver Gathmann (gathmann@scar.utoronto.ca)
Surface and Groundwater Ecology Research Group
University of Toronto
phone: (416) - 287 7420 ; fax: (416) - 287 7423