[MATRIX-SIG] cPickle/shelve and Numeric

Konrad Hinsen hinsen@ibs.ibs.fr
Tue, 13 Jan 1998 17:47:04 +0100

> Is there a version of cPickle/shelve for Numeric?
> If not, what is the best way to store arbitrary python objects (that
> may contain Numeric arrays) to dbm-style database files?

For the moment, use the pickler/unpickler defined in module Numeric
and put the result. I can think of a few ways to use it in shelve,
all of which untested, of course:

1) The "quick hack" solution:

   import shelve
   from Numeric import Pickler, Unpickler
   shelve.Pickler = Pickler
   shelve.Unpickler = Unpickler

2) Somewhat better: make a new module, called e.g. "array_shelve",
   and containing

   from shelve import *
   from Numeric import Pickler, Unpickler

3) Subclass everything from shelve and replace the methods referring
   to Pickler or Unpickler.

Konrad.
Konrad Hinsen                          | E-Mail: hinsen@ibs.ibs.fr
Laboratoire de Dynamique Moleculaire   | Tel.: +33-4.76.88.99.28
Institut de Biologie Structurale       | Fax:  +33-4.76.88.54.94
41, av. des Martyrs                    | Deutsch/Esperanto/English/
38027 Grenoble Cedex 1, France         | Nederlands/Francais