[MATRIX-SIG] integer division -- what a concept!

Charles G. Waldman cgw@pgt.com
Fri, 16 Jan 98 18:18 EST

Zane Motteler writes:

 > To me at least (and I've been in computing
 > for 41 years now) it seems counterintuitive that the result of an
 > operation would be of a different type than either operand.
 >
 > --Zane

I respect your experience and opinions.  To me, trained as a
mathematician, "integer division" is kind of a troublesome notion.
The integers are a commutative ring, not a field.  There is no
"division" until we extend the ring to a field by adjoining the
rationals.  The function div(x,y) that thinks div(1,2)==0 isn't really
anything I would call "division"; although I understand very well that
this is the traditional thinking in computing.