[MATRIX-SIG] integer division -- what a concept!

David J. C. Beach beach@verinet.com
Sat, 17 Jan 1998 03:13:50 -0700

Rupert Mazzucco wrote:

> It might seem you are somehow trapped by being a computer scientist
> for a long time. I'm sure a beginner will find 1/2 == 0.5 less
> surprising than 1/2 == 0, and the resulting different type
> argument doesn't hold in a dynamically typed language.

Yes, Rupert.   I'm sure that a beginner would also find the concept of
polymorphism confusing, but that doesn't mean I think we should take it
out of the language.

You see, most beginners haven't done any programming where they'd need
integer division.  So naturally, when stumbling upon it, the beginner
finds it absurd.  That doesn't mean that integer division isn't necessary
and useful.

Dave

--
David J. C. Beach