[Matrix-SIG] Re: [PSA MEMBERS] Numeric Python Set function

hinsen@cnrs-orleans.fr hinsen@cnrs-orleans.fr
Fri, 5 Jun 1998 17:02:08 -0500 (CDT)

> I was wondering if there is something like a "set" function in
> Numeric Python that would allow to set values in an array given
> an array of indices and an array of values. (somehow the same
> operation as take() but to set values).

[Note: I have CCed this to the Matrix-SIG, which is a more
appropriate place for this topic.]

No, there is no such function in the current NumPy; it's one of
important holes in the system. Various proposals have been made
to get this functionality (and also that of take()) via extended
indexing expressions. I think some people wanted to investigate
an implementation, but I may be wrong. If anyone has news on this
topic, please let us know...