[MATRIX-SIG] [Q] default NumPy installation

Harald Singer singer@itl.atr.co.jp
Thu, 12 Mar 1998 16:19:57 +0900

Hi,

I just downloaded NumPy-11.tgz

[1] documentation is out of date
the compile instructions in Numerical don't fit the distribution.

[2] release naming incosistency
 NumPy10.tgz
 NumPy-11.tgz

[3]
What is the "preferred way" of installing NumPy in a multi-machine
environment? (Linux, OSF1, HP-UX, etc)

Just following the "new procedure", I did
  python makethis.py
  make install

bash$ ls /usr/local/lib/python1.5/site-packages
fast_umathmodule.so  lapack_lite.so       ranlib.so
_numpymodule.so	     fftpack.so		  multiarraymodule.so  umathmodule.so

Where should I install the files in NumPy/Lib? I could
	cp -r Lib /usr/local/lib/python1.5/NumPy
and then
	export PYTHONPATH=$PYTHONPATH:/usr/local/lib/python1.5/NumPy
but somehow I don't like this too much, because it might clash
with what individual users do with their PYTHONPATH variable.

Another solution is to change Setup.in (or Setup???) from
  # Site specific path components -- should begin with : if non-empty
  SITEPATH=
  # Site specific path components -- should begin with : if non-empty
  SITEPATH=:Imaging:NumPy
--
Harald Singer, ATR ITL, tel +81-7749-5-1389   singer@itl.atr.co.jp