[Matrix-SIG] general 2D convolution, again.

David Buscher David.Buscher@durham.ac.uk
Fri, 27 Mar 1998 11:15:44 +0000 (GMT)

On Thu, 26 Mar 1998, David Ascher wrote:

> Problem: doing 2D convolutions with non-square and different shape arrays
> is (from what I've read) not doable using FFT multiplication.

I believe this is something of an oversimplification. All convolutions
are doable using an FFT, providing you pad the arrays with zeros to a
mutually compatible size, and perhaps add extra padding to take care of
edge effects. The only question then is whether this is the most
efficient way to do the computation, which is clearly an
implementation-dependent topic. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong!

David
 David Buscher                          |  Phone  +44 191 374 7462
 Dept of Physics, University of Durham, |  Fax    +44 191 374 3709
 South Road, Durham DH1 3LE, UK         |  Email  david.buscher@durham.ac.uk