[Matrix-SIG] Quick... Duck! (or: YA Newbie)

David Ascher da@skivs.ski.org
Tue, 5 May 1998 09:24:09 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 5 May 1998, Gregory A. Landrum wrote:

> This (efficiency) is certainly true.  Particularly since most
> (all?) of the commercial unix vendors provide at least partial
> implementations which tend to be rather highly optimized
> for their platforms.

Keep in mind that it's relatively important to have something like the
functionality of LinearAlgebra.py for platforms which do *not* provide
free LAPACK, such as win32, MacOS and Linux...  Also, I suspect many Unix
customers don't have the $$'s to spend on LAPACK -- last I looked, SGI
charged an arm and a leg for these things.

That said, if you want to make it possible to do *more* if your platform
provides more, far from me to stop you!

--david