[Matrix-SIG] Quick... Duck! (or: YA Newbie)

Konrad Hinsen hinsen@ibs.ibs.fr
Tue, 12 May 1998 12:57:35 +0200

> A pre-lapacklite version of an interface to all of lapack may be found at
> ftp://ftp.cs.unl.edu/pub/drh/python/
>
> I have not update that version in quite a while.

The interface routines require minor modifications to work with the
latest NumPy. I have such a modified version, and I use it daily with
Python 1.5.1, NumPy 1.1, and various versions of LAPACK, depending on
the machine.

If Doug and LLNL agree, the most useful solution would be to make this
interface collection available from the LLNL server, together with
NumPy. In the meantime, if anyone wants it, send me an e-mail...

BTW, it would be nice to establish a collection of working Setup files
for use with Fortran BLAS/LAPACK routines. I can provide everything
for HP/UX 9, and I will soon work on an AIX version. I also have a
Setup file for Linux (using a g77 compiled LAPACK).

There are usually two problems with using a FORTRAN LAPACK:
1) Fortran-C interfacing is machine dependent. In addition to the
   "trailing-underscore-or-not" question, some machines
   require some library to be linked explicitly when Fortran code
   is called from a C program.
2) Building shared libraries for the LAPACK interface requires
   that LAPACK and BLAS are available either as shared libraries
   or at least as position-independent code. Of course details
   vary from machine to machine.
Konrad Hinsen                          | E-Mail: hinsen@ibs.ibs.fr
Laboratoire de Dynamique Moleculaire   | Tel.: +33-4.76.88.99.28
Institut de Biologie Structurale       | Fax:  +33-4.76.88.54.94
41, av. des Martyrs                    | Deutsch/Esperanto/English/
38027 Grenoble Cedex 1, France         | Nederlands/Francais