[Matrix-SIG] Syntactic sugar for constructing arrays

Konrad Hinsen hinsen@cnrs-orleans.fr
Sun, 11 Oct 1998 15:48:50 +0200

> Since the array is such a useful type, I'd like to see a
> cleaner-looking syntax for creating array objects.  I'd like to be
> able to write, for instance,
>
> center = <256,256>
> point =  <10,-20>
>
> What do people think of this suggestion?

I'd like it too, but the only relevant opinion when it comes to
syntax issues in Python is Guido's ;-)

Moreover, with the current state of Python and NumPy this would be
impossible to implement. The interpreter would have to recognize
the syntax and create the array object - but the array type is defined
in an extension that most Python users don't even have!