[Matrix-SIG] Re: [Pythonmac-SIG] Using Python or Java for data analysis(no flame wars please)

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl
Tue, 06 Apr 1999 11:07:31 +0200

I think it's almost a toss-up whether to use Python or Java. JPython
isn't an option for this problem, I think (it _is_ for many other
problems), as it doesn't have the plethora of modules (like NumPy)
that Python has.

Python has NumPy as a strong point, and I don't know about similar
packages for Java. Python has the Mac-implementation of Tkinter as a
weak point, somehow Tk-applications always feel clunky on the mac (but
then, Java applications aren't exactly first class Mac citizens
either). On the rest of the questions the languages score about the
same (although I don't know how easy it is to create applications from
Java. For Python it is a simple drag-and-drop since 1.5.2b1).

Maybe you should just pick the language you feel most comfortable with...
Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl      | ++++ if you agree copy these lines to your sig ++++
http://www.cwi.nl/~jack | see http://www.xs4all.nl/~tank/spg-l/sigaction.htm