[Matrix-SIG] Some optimization routines.

Ryszard Czerminski ryszard@moldyn.com
Wed, 14 Apr 1999 10:00:51 -0400 (EDT)

As you pointed out performance and applicability of
various optimization routines is very much problem
dependent, therefore you need to look for "best" algorithms
(and implementations!) in different categories.

I comment here only on unconstrained, local minimization
problems:

general non-linear functions:

(1) derivatives not available - SIMPLEX and conjugate
    direction methods (but I do not know about their relative merit)
(2) first derivatives available - conjugate gradient
    (Polak-Ribiere variant)
(3) first and second derivatives available - Newton-Raphson

for least-square problems methods which exploit explicitely
structure of the objective function are more effective
e.g. Levenberg-Marquardt method

Above list is probably not very complete - even only
for unconstrained, local minimization problems.

There is a very nice overview in
http://www-fp.mcs.anl.gov/otc/Guide/OptWeb.

Ryszard Czerminski         phone : (617)354-3124 x 10
Moldyn, Inc.               fax   : (617)491-4522
955 Massachusetts Avenue   e-mail: ryszard@moldyn.com
Cambridge MA, 02139-3180   http://www.moldyn.com