[Matrix-SIG] NumPy Array as buffer.

Travis Oliphant Oliphant.Travis@mayo.edu
Wed, 4 Aug 1999 23:46:45 -0500 (CDT)

A couple of posts on the python news group made me aware of a buffer
object that was apparently added in Python 1.5.2.  From my first look at
it this looks like a good way to "connect" packages which use different
objects.

I'm always wanting to get the data in NumPy arrays into some other object
(such as the PIL).  My understanding is that the buffer object should
(could) allow this without a data copy.

Are appropriate methods going to be added to NumPy to allow arrays to be
read and written to as a buffer?  Has this been looked into before?

I'm hesitant to do anything right now because of the "long-promised"
update to NumPy.  Perhaps the coming Extension Class model will solve all
my problems :-)

Fishing for info,

Travis