[Matrix-SIG] Problems with Numeric

Travis Oliphant Oliphant.Travis@mayo.edu
Thu, 30 Dec 1999 12:32:53 -0600 (CST)

> I had to compile everything form Numeric/Setup statically into the 'python'
> binary to make it work. It's ok for a short while, but I'd be very grateful
> if somebody pointed me to the source of the problem.

I'm not sure what is wrong here, but add is a method of the ufunc module,
so it sounds like that is where the problem is.  The Numeric module
imports all of the methods of the ufunc module and so a NameError in this
circumstance seems to imply that the ufunc module is not completely
functional.

Try importing ufunc alone and looking at it's methods:

>>> import ufunc
>>> dir(ufunc)

You should see add there somewhere.  If it is not there then it is
probably a shared library problem.  Perhaps someone with more experience
on Solaris may have some insights.

Good luck,

Travis