[Matrix-SIG] Re: Matrixre: a full-blown interactive data analysis environment

Jonah Lee ffjhl@uaf.edu
Thu, 21 Jan 1999 15:19:35 -0900 (AKST)

On Thu, 21 Jan 1999, Perry Greenfield wrote:

I'd like to second Perry Greenfield's comments too. I find that
development using Python (with or without Numerical Python) is much faster
than using C/C++/Fortran. Efficiency can be improved by using Numerical
Python or 'translating' some critical portion of the code to C++ and then
wrap the C++ code using SWIG. Translating Python code into C++ is in
general not a difficult task. My own benchmark shows that wrapped C++ code
using SWIG runs almost as fast as native C++ code. In addition,
'translating' pure Python code into Numerical Python code is very easy
too. Python is also wonderful in the iterative process of object-oriented
design which may be critical for the maintainence of the code base. I'm in
favor of having a reasonably good Python interface, i.e., a Python-centric
appoach. Just my two cents:-)