[Matrix-SIG] Ternary power of arrays

Travis E. Oliphant Oliphant.Travis@mayo.edu
Fri, 29 Jan 1999 13:36:41 -0600

Having recently had some experience with the ufunc object while building
the cephes module I think I know why the power function was called as a
binary function:  All ufuncs currently must take only one or two
arguments.  I don't know of any way in the current code to make a ufunc
object out of a function which takes more than two arguments.

For the completion of the cephes module I also need functions that will
take up to 5 or 6 arbitrary arguments.   I don't really need the methods
that come with the ufunc objects (reduce, accumulate, etc.) just the
ability to take arbitrary arrays and expand dimensions cleanly.  So, can
we make a more generic ufunc?  Or do we hack it to take 3, 4, or maybe 5
arguments?

A definite item to think about for any would-be developers.

Travis Oliphant            200 First St SW
    	                   Rochester MN 55905
Ultrasound Research Lab	   (507) 286-5923
Mayo Graduate School	   Oliphant.Travis@mayo.edu