[Matrix-SIG] Multipack is growing....

Yoon, Hoon (CICG - NY Program Trading) HYoon@exchange.ml.com
Mon, 7 Jun 1999 18:04:58 -0400

	>From: Alexandar
	The work you've been doing is excellent! The only reservation I have
is
	that the distribution appears to be limited to the source code and
binary
	implementations for linux. If this truly is going to develop into
the
	standard set of extensions to NumPy will there be binary
distributions for
	other platforms (read Windows XX!)?

I Second that. The NT often seems second thought and even with Linux's
popularity, it still rules desktops.
Some numeric modules like netCDF was not compileable, at least during my few
attemps. And NaN implementation is still diff. Cross platform compatiability
is one of the greatest strength of Python.
Great job otherwise. I really love just puching away at my numeric prb from
Python.

-------------------
On a side note, does anyone know how to create a NaN value from a C++
extension modules?
This is how I used to do this in Gauss:
//Unix Missing Values
#define ISMISSINGVAL(A) ( (*((unsigned short *)(A)) & (unsigned
short)0x7FFF) > (unsigned short)0x7FF0 )
#define MKMISSINGVAL(A)   ( *((unsigned int *)(A)) = 0x7fffffff, *((unsigned
int *)(A)+1) = (unsigned int)0 )
// NT missing
#define ISMISSINGVAL(A)   ( (*((unsigned short *)(A)+3) & (unsigned
short)0x7FFF) > (unsigned short)0x7FF0 )
#define MKMISSINGVAL(A)   ( *((unsigned int *)(A)+1) = 0x7fffffff,
*((unsigned int *)(A)) = (unsigned int)0 )
;
		case DT_DOUBLE:
			holdLst.append(Float (*(double *)pData));
			break;
		case DT_CHAR:
			tmpStr = (string)pData;
			tmpStr = tmpStr.substr(0,cch);
			tmpStr = tmpStr.substr(0,tmpStr.find_last_not_of('
')+1);
			holdLst.append((String)tmpStr);
			break;
		}
	}
	else holdLst.append(Float(-9999.99)); // ****************currently I
am marking with this ugly thing*************
		//(unsigned short)0x7FF0)); //0x7fffffff
	return holdLst;
}
  I am finally writing extensions, thanks to cxx. Hopefully I can contribute
more in the future (I got few pretty nasty models that needs to be hijacked
from Splus).

S. Hoon Yoon                   (Quant)                    Merrill Lynch
Equity Trading
yelled@yahoo.com hoon@bigfoot.com(w)
"Miracle is always only few standard deviations away, but so is
catastrophe."
* Expressed opinions are often my own, but NOT my employer's.
"I feel like a fugitive from the law of averages."    Mauldin