[Matrix-SIG] Numeric Pickling

David Ascher da@ski.org
Fri, 25 Jun 1999 09:43:58 -0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)

On Fri, 25 Jun 1999, Konrad Hinsen wrote:

> Ah, I see where the difference is. Apparently someone added support
> for pickling with recent Python pickle versions to NumPy. Being a
> NumPy veteran, I used (and still use) the subclassed pickler and
> unpickler from Numeric. I didn't even know that the newer mechanism
> had been implemented!

I suspect that I'm the guilty party.  I apologize.

> Anyway, the "old" pickle code works. So it seems we have two pickle
> implementations, which don't use the same file format! And only one
> of them works correctly.
>
> Maybe this is a good time to work on a better implementation of array
> pickling, supporting cPickle as well as pickle, and not causing the
> tremendous memory overhead of calling tostring(). Plus of course reading
> both earlier file formats for compatibility!

How about we start a conversation off-line (Konrad, Emmanuel and me) to
hash this out?  I only have access to one byte-ordering kind, so testing
this is nontrivial for me.

The rest of you, stay tuned.

--david