[Matrix-SIG] Nonlinear optimization routines anyone?

Ryszard Czerminski ryszard@moldyn.com
Tue, 16 Mar 1999 08:24:02 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 15 Mar 1999, David Ascher wrote:

> CG is fine for some cases, but not all.  What I miss in Python is the
> choices offered by e.g. Matlab's Optimization Toolbox:
>
>  - Unconstrained Optimization
>  - Quasi-Newton
>  - Least Squares
>  - Nonlinear Least Squares
>    - Gauss-Newton
>    - Levenberg Marquart
>  - Constrained optimization
>    - Sequential quadratic programming
>  - Multiobjective optimization
>
> [taken from the TOC].
>
> I suspect that if I knew enough about optimization I could code up the
> subset that I need, but I'm not sure I'd trust my own code to do this...
>
> --david

If you could provide FRAMEWORK for this (i.e. place to deposit/distribute
the code, etc.) and possibly some NumPy/Python specific help, I believe
people who need optimization routines in their everyday work (like Janne,
myself, others...) would populate it with useful code with time.

Ryszard