[Matrix-SIG] Interactive Shell

Travis Oliphant Oliphant.Travis@mayo.edu
Sun, 9 May 1999 00:55:48 -0500 (CDT)

This is looking really great, Janko.

A couple of thoughts and a bug.

1) It would be nice if this were the Interactive environment in IDLE (or
the start of another one in wxWindows...)

2) I really like what you are doing with going to the HTML files for help
from the command line.  I like the idea of not relying only on doc strings
for interactive help.  One thought I've been toying with is having a
viewer defined that launches a PDF viewer for looking at documentation in
PDF.  This would be excellent for writing nicely typeset documentation to
explain mathematical modules and uses for them.

We really need to get away from doc-string-only interactive help.  I
haven't looked at ihelp which is probably along the lines of what I have
in mind, but I'm not sure that texinfo is the way to go.

Bug:

When I type ?@cd  (just checking.... :-) )
it gives a traceback, an error and then stops the interactive session.

Good job Janko.  This is should be in the Tools directory of the main
distribution so all newcomers see it quickly.

Travis