[Matrix-SIG] First official release of (general purpose) Sparse matrix packagefor Python

Robin Becker robin@jessikat.demon.co.uk
Fri, 5 Nov 1999 14:11:09 +0000

In article <Pine.LNX.4.10.9911050240440.3573-100000@us2.mayo.edu>,
Travis Oliphant <Oliphant.Travis@mayo.edu> writes
>There are other Sparse Matrix implementations available but this one is
>trying to be general purpose.  Any suggestions and improvements are
>appreciated.

Of particular interest to optimisers and structural engineers are
special solution methods for symmetric matrices. Ng & Peyton's method is
widely used as part of the package PCx. It is originally coded in
fortran, but is easy to move to C. I think it unlikely that the sparse
matrix storage can easily be made fully dynamic as it uses parallel
vectors representing super nodes etc. The strategy I have used in the
past when converting fortran is to try and preserve the original
assertions as elements are added/removed from the sparse matrix. I think
for a Python module implementing various sparse matrix kinds there ought
to be a standard API we can plug into.
--
Robin Becker