[Matrix-SIG] Numpy in Viper

Konrad Hinsen hinsen@cnrs-orleans.fr
Thu, 28 Oct 1999 18:50:02 +0200

> 	You are right. In fact, the very point of FISh is that
> the _same_ modifier can equally well be applied to either the
> data _or_ to the operator. Indeed, it is the 'commutativity'
> which is the heart of the strengthened polymorphism FISh makes
> available.

OK, that sounds definitely useful.

> 	a) is it worth the effort for Python to provide native arrays

Yes!

> 	b) should NumPy be ignored in favour of the FISh mechanism?

No. There is just too much NumPy code around.

> 	c) should NumPy be supported but deprecated?

That's a difficult question. It depends on how much better and
how incompatible an alternative scheme would be (and I don't
even know how to measure these quantities).

> 	d) Should we attempt to make the two mechanisms compatible
>
> It is my belief that (d) would be the best option IF it is, in fact
> possible. (c) is the next best option.

Of course (d) is ideal. And why shouldn't it be possible? It shouldn't
be difficult to implement the current NumPy functionality in terms
of some more advanced approach.

Konrad.