[Matrix-SIG] Proclamation: column-wise arrays (fwd)

Andrew P. Mullhaupt amullhau@zen-pharaohs.com
Fri, 4 Feb 2000 15:33:17 -0500

> Andrew Mullhaupt writes:
> > ... It's too bad that anyone was ever allowed to do row-major stuff,
>
> Please explain to me why column-major arrays are preferrable to
> row-major arrays,

Because we write linear algebra texts in languages which are written
horizontally, which means that vectors are column vectors.

> other than having to explicitly list every dimension
> whether its needed or not?

I have no idea what you're getting at here. F95 and S are column major and
has no such requirement, Python is the other way around and has no such
requirement.

> Also, isn't this SIG dead and shouldn't this discussion be moved to
> SoureForge?

I have no idea.

Later,
Andrew Mullhaupt