[Matrix-SIG] Numerical python on SourceForge?

Travis Oliphant Oliphant.Travis@mayo.edu
Sat, 8 Jan 2000 15:58:33 -0600 (CST)

SourceForge is a community site run by VA Linux that provides CVS and web
space to many open projects.  http://sourceforge.net

From the site:

SourceForge is a free service to Open Source developers offering easy
access to the best in CVS, mailing lists, bug tracking, message
boards/forums, task management, site hosting, permanent file archival,
full backups, and total web-based administration.

I think it is an ideal site to allow community involvement in Numerical
Python development.

One of the outstanding issues that needs addressing quickly is how to
integrate Numerical Python into the core.  Guido has expressed enough
interest that it would be a real shame not to get it in by Python 1.6

There are issues that need deciding however:

 * Will Python still retain other Numeric Types or will rank-0 arrays and
Python Numeric objects become equivalent?

 * How will FFTpack and LAPACK get distributed if NumPy is now in the
core?

to name just a couple.

It is straightforward to get an account on SourceForge and I for one would
heartily support such a move.

Travis