[Matrix-SIG] I have working code that implements active-casting concept.

Rick White rlw@stsci.edu
Wed, 19 Jan 2000 09:29:56 -0500 (EST)

Travis Oliphant writes:

>I'm pleased to relate that I've been able to successfully implement the
>active-casting concept briefly discussed in a previous post, using the
>current Numerical Python.  Preliminary testing shows it to work quite well
>and seems to "remove the single-precision problem." if used.
>
>I can patch the current tree as soon as I receive approval from Paul
>Dubois, but he will likely want to hear opinions from this list, so speak
>up if you hate the idea or love the idea.  If no-one responds I will
>assume that means a show of favor :-)

I think this is great -- I'm delighted to see Travis moving this
forward!  For my work, at least, his proposal will make Numeric much
more useful.

If I could add one thing, it would be nice to have some standard
convenience functions (in Numeric.py) for creating active arrays.
Certainly it is not a big deal, but I'm sure people that create active
arrays will write their own such functions, so we might as well
standardize them.

Travis's changes (including moving array_set into the Numeric module,
etc.) are big steps toward removing the major shortcomings of Numeric
for our work (astronomical data analysis and image processing).
					Rick

----
Richard L. White    rlw@stsci.edu    http://sundog.stsci.edu/rick/
Space Telescope Science Institute