[Matrix-SIG] Active arrays

Travis Oliphant Oliphant.Travis@mayo.edu
Wed, 19 Jan 2000 11:21:58 -0600 (CST)

If active arrays were to become part of Numerical Python, I've been
thinking of a couple of ways to make them easy to use.

Of course there is the attribute setting approach as explained before.
I've thought of two other possibilities:

(1) An attribute that returns an active version of the array (pointing to
the same data) so that (for example) b.asactive returns a reference to the
data in b as an active array.

(2) An argument to the general array() command along with another command,
e.g. activearray() which sets this argument.

One final request:  If someone as a better idea as to what to call this
property instead of active, I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks,

Travis