[melbourne-pug] developing something as a group

Maurice Ling mauriceling at acm.org
Fri Jun 17 16:10:22 CEST 2005

>>2. Actually developing an application to be owned by the group and
>>with potential to become a useful open-source project.
>>

>I think a group project is a great idea but perhaps we should look at
>developing smaller things and doing a "sprint". My thoughts would be
>to have several small projects and try to complete them in no more
>than a day. In small groups with one or more experienced Python
>people helping those who may well have lots of programming knowledge,
>just not in Python.
>
>I've done lots of programming and am slowly learning the Python way -
>as I've said before it's easy to write Pascal programs in any
>language. To be accurate, substitute Algol-68 for Pascal but I doubt
>too many people know about Algol-68 :-)

Well, I agree that this might be a good idea as there is some form of
ownership as a group and continualty, given the number of people we have
seen yesterday.

Personally, I have the tendency to start off projects faster than I can
ever complete them. Currently, I am working on something with 5% of my
time, which I think affects all of us. The problem I face and foresee is
this, when we try to install a Python program or sort, there are usually
dependencies to fulfill prior actual installation, and each of these
dependencies may have other dependencies.

This is made worse by the fact that we can have serveral Python
installations within a system. I am a Mac user, so I have
Apple-installed Python and Fink-installed Python, and each maintains
their own site-packages. And my question boils down to 2 things (I think):

1. Is there a way or system to satisfy the dependencies if I choose to
install a package?
2. When I upgrade my Python installation, is there a way to re-install
all the packages of my older python version into my newer python version?

I am using ideas from CPAN, Darwinports, Fink and other package
management systems.

What are the uses of this proposed system?
1. Imagine a system admin have installed 50 different packages and
dependencies and now have to upgrade to a newer version of python.
Re-installing all those packages again is a pain.
2. How many times we hope that when we try to install a program with
"python setup.py install" that we wish for a system that can just help
us handle all the dependencies?

I did make an announcement in catelog-sig and python mailing list that
this work I've just described, is intended as an academic project. So, I
hope I can solicit some interests in this group. If there are some
interests, then I do think it make sense to attempt it as a group effort.

Please tell me what you think about this and we will take it from there.

Sorry, this is a bit long for Friday night read...

Cheers
Maurice

--
Maurice Han Tong LING, BSc(Hons)(Biochem), AdvDipComp, CPT, SSN, FIFA,
MASBMB, MAMBIS, MACM