[melbourne-pug] developing something as a group

Bruce Cropley cropleyb at yahoo.com.au
Sat Jun 18 02:46:08 CEST 2005

> >I think a group project is a great idea but perhaps
> we should look at
> >developing smaller things and doing a "sprint". My
> thoughts would be
> >to have several small projects and try to complete
> them in no more
> >than a day. In small groups with one or more
> experienced Python
> >people helping those who may well have lots of
> programming knowledge,
> >just not in Python.

If we choose any particular project and work on it for
more than one session as the official Melb PUG
meeting, the danger is that the people who are
interested in python but not in that project will not
come along. I believe that a sprint for a particular
open source project would be a more effective way to
achieve something while sharing knowledge.

If anyone is interested practicing python and Test
Driven Development, let me know. I'm running a little
group that meets every two or three weeks. We usually
start from scratch on a new mini-project so new people
can join at any time. The next session is on this
Thursday at Zanzibar in Collins Place starting around
6:15. We are going to do some refactoring of a project
that we started last time (unique id server), so I can
mail you the source as it stands if you are
interested.

As someone else mentioned, small projects and
presentations don't necessarily show up the recurring
issues that you get with large projects. Also,
presentations of experiences with large projects may
not be as useful to people who haven't experienced the
same problems on similar projects.

Bruce