[melbourne-pug] apologies for missing lunch

Tennessee Leeuwenburg tleeuwenburg at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 08:27:09 CEST 2007

No worries Kevin. Hopefully you can make it next time.

In attendence were Anthony Baxter, Richard Jones, Neville, Mike DeWhirst,
Ryan, Stephanie and Tennessee Leeuwenburg (me). It was pretty informal, but
Neville demonstrated some of the functionality of Sage to a few of us, and
there was some discussion of Pythonesque database support packages. I don't
do much with DBs myself, but there was some general interest.

Some people were mostly interested in having lunch sometimes, and others
were interested in pursuing other options like presentations and group code
explorations, and some were interested in an MPUG new project.

Personally, I doubt that I have the hours available to pioneer / run a new
project. However, I would be happy to take part in presentations, group code
explorations, or sprints. For those who don't know, a 'sprint' is where
typically a small-medium sized group of Python developers meets for anywhere
from an hour to a couple of days, and works on a common tasks. Obviously,
shorter sprints require all members to be pretty familiar with the problem
at hand and the goals of the sprint, but they are possible.

Mike DeWhirst has previously suggested a few project ideas. I don't know if
it is possible to run a group project that is truly leaderless, so either we
could prevail on him to drive the process, or we could have a go at true
groupthink.

Another great suggestion was that of the road test. The idea, as I
understood it, would be to pick some Python-related application, download
and install it, run it, kick the tyres a little and compile a report on its
functionality. Group members would then over time be introduced to a large
number of Python applications, greatly broadening their knowledge. It would
also contribute a little back to the Python community in the form of
documentation and evaluation of the packages in question.

I'm not sure if anyone is aware of a good venue for presentations etc. I am
reasonably familiar with the CBD and South Yarra local surrounds -- if the
weather was okay, we could meet outdoors someplace and try to network all
our laptops together for added coolness. Alternatively, we could invade a
Starbucks for their free wireless. Maybe some others could suggest some
decent venues that might be available via a workplace or just a little-known
hideout.

At the social level, I'm sure we will have further lunchtime gatherings in
the city. Loco bar worked well enough, although the rectangular tables
fragmented the discussion groups somewhat -- if anyone knows of any
round-tabled venues, let the group know!

Cheers,
-T