[melbourne-pug] MPUG meeting ON for January: Tuesday 10 Jan at Inspire9

Tennessee Leeuwenburg tleeuwenburg at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 04:25:56 CET 2012

Hi all,

Thanks to international visitor Mark Atwood (
http://mark.atwood.name/index.html), we have a great presentation lined up
for next week. Mark is the Developer Community Manager for OpenShift at Red
Hat.

WHEN: *Tuesday 10 January*. We've got the venue booked between 6pm and
8:30pm.
WHERE: *Inspire9,* http://www.inspire9.com.au/, Level 1, 41 Stewart St
Richmond <http://maps.google.com.au/?q=Level+1+41+Stewart+St+Richmond>

WHAT: "Platform as a Service" or PaaS is a popular buzz-word in
Cloud Computing. But what does it mean, and how can you use it?
 OpenShift by Red Hat is a free-as-in-beer and soon to be free-as-in-speech
PaaS platform that supports several open-source application
server environments, including JavaEE6, Python, Ruby, PHP, and Perl.
 This demo will show you how to sign up for OpenShift, install and use
the command-line tools to create an application, and how to use git
to download, modify, and upload your own WSGI and Python applications. You
can use your WSGI framework of choice, including Django, Flask, and Bottle.

If time allows, we will have some additional speaking slots. At the last
event, dinner was organised by passing around the hat for pizza money
(approx $10 per head). I haven't actually been to the new venue, but I
presume someone familiar with the area will take care of making sure dinner
and drinks happen :)

I hope to see you all there! And, of course, a happy new year to everyone :)

Cheers,
Tennessee Leeuwenburg