[melbourne-pug] config files? pfft!

Andrew Spiers andrew at andrewspiers.net
Thu Feb 28 10:17:12 CET 2013

On 28 February 2013 18:09, Sam Watkins <sam at nipl.net> wrote:
> config files?  pfft!
>
> In python, one may put a program's settings in a separate python file,
> and simply import it (or from it import *).
>
> And if you just use numbers and quoted strings,
> those files can be used for shell config and perhaps make config.
>
> Killer Feature.  Works nice with python's excellent syntax and module system :)
>
> A bit of a boring post, but hey...

Your message was not boring.

I used to like having per-user config stuff in a python file in the
PEP370 directories,
but they are not on the path when you are in a venv.  Just now I even tried
exporting PYTHONUSERBASE=~/.local before activating a venv and those directories
didn't get added to my venv's path.

~/.local does seem like a logical place to look for config files,
regardless of if they are
actual python files or configparser ini style files.
It is nice to be able to just 'import config'.