[melbourne-pug] How to go about an aspect of a web app

Tennessee Leeuwenburg tleeuwenburg at gmail.com
Mon Jan 13 10:42:50 CET 2014

Hey,

A question for the peanut gallery...

I'm writing a flask/bootstrap web app (not open sourced as yet) for doing
some scientific processing in a pipeline data processing methodology. I
want to write an example pipeline, but then have the app be deployable in
user space and use either a configured directory or a dot-prefix directory
for the data of that particular instance of the app. I had imagined this
could be like a "layer" over the top of the core application layer, so that
users could have their projects side-by-side with the core application
examples.

I'm now thinking maybe that's a bad idea, and it would be better just to
copy the sample projects into the users workspace.

In fact I think I've pretty much convinced myself given it took just one
sentence to say and seems immediately clear.

Are there any other paradigms in web apps for managing the application
state (other than packing everything into a database)? The data here exists
naturally in a fundamentally file-based paradigm, so I think it makes sense
to continue that mainly.

Cheers,
-Tennessee

Tennessee Leeuwenburg