[melbourne-pug] How to go about an aspect of a web app

Tennessee Leeuwenburg tleeuwenburg at gmail.com
Mon Jan 13 10:52:21 CET 2014

I imagine wanting to supply multiple data paths, and want a lazy way to
write something that just munges them together into a single list of
available projects. Ideally. Falling back to only allowing one configurable
directory is reasonable. I can just make it easy to deploy the demo files
into a new workspace rather than having them included by the code directly.

On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 8:48 PM, Daniel Alan Miller
<dalan.miller at gmail.com>wrote:

> Given a specified folfer hierarchy why not just use the files you already
> have for the data, if I'm understanding correctly?
>
> An instance of your application can run and anything within the directory
> path supplied when you run the application that fits the specification be
> (Monitored? Used? Consumed?) by the application.
> On Jan 13, 2014 8:13 PM, "Tennessee Leeuwenburg" <tleeuwenburg at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hey,
>>
>> A question for the peanut gallery...
>>
>> I'm writing a flask/bootstrap web app (not open sourced as yet) for doing
>> some scientific processing in a pipeline data processing methodology. I
>> want to write an example pipeline, but then have the app be deployable in
>> user space and use either a configured directory or a dot-prefix directory
>> for the data of that particular instance of the app. I had imagined this
>> could be like a "layer" over the top of the core application layer, so that
>> users could have their projects side-by-side with the core application
>> examples.
>>
>> I'm now thinking maybe that's a bad idea, and it would be better just to
>> copy the sample projects into the users workspace.
>>
>> In fact I think I've pretty much convinced myself given it took just one
>> sentence to say and seems immediately clear.
>>
>> Are there any other paradigms in web apps for managing the application
>> state (other than packing everything into a database)? The data here exists
>> naturally in a fundamentally file-based paradigm, so I think it makes sense
>> to continue that mainly.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> -Tennessee
>>
>> --