[melbourne-pug] I'm looking for contract work, and available two days a week

Javier Candeira javier at candeira.com
Thu Jun 19 11:58:11 CEST 2014

Hi MPUG,

I'm currently winding down a couple of projects, and I will be
available to work two days a week starting mid-July. Please share this
message if you know someone who might be interested.

This is the kind of work I do:

- figuring out the problem before figuring out the solution,
- writing code to solve the problem, usually involving the
interconnection of heterogeneous systems,
- documenting and automating the process so it can be understood and
maintained by others.

I'm good at working with code and with people. If you check my github
account (@candeira), please look at the interaction with people in
public commit messages and comments. This is also how I interact in
person with colleagues and clients. You will also notice I like to fix
documentation, build scripts and dependencies, which may not be as
sexy as the code itself, but are at least as important.

In the past 18 months I've worked on projects involving:

- making mussels sing,
- making a robot that helps make babies (and a robot that helps make
robots that make babies),
- connecting industrial machines over the Internet,
- deploying backends for the guide apps of museums, libraries and zoos,
- automating reports for a sales team
- translating an algorithms and data structures course taught in Java
into a course taught in Python

All of the above used some of the below:

- Python 2.4, 2.7 and 3.3
- doctests, nose and tox
- Javascript, Java, C#, Perl, Arduino C, Processing
- bash scripts and (pity me) .bat files
- Ubuntu, Debian/Raspbian, Windows
- Django and GAE,
- Arduino and Raspbery PI
- industrial protocols like modbus and <proprietary serial console madness>
- temperature, humidity and magnetic proximity (Hall effect) sensors
- bluetooth communications
- mobile applications via Phonegap/Cordova/IntelXDK
- nonrelational databases, mostly CouchDB and its ecosystem (JS
couchapps, Kanso, etc)
- Google Docs spreadsheets, Libreoffice Calc and Microsoft Excel (both
scripting them from without and writing macros from within),
- Rackspace and Vagrant automation
- Ansible and Blueprint
- git, svn
- LaTeX, Markdown, Restructured Text and plain old word processors for
documentation
- REST API clients libraries, both using them and writing them...

... and possibly more that I forget right now, as well as playing with
Lua, Scheme, Clojure, Ruby, Haskell, AWS, Docker, Hadoop and Solar for
fun and self-improvement.

References available on request, etc.

Thanks,

Javier