[melbourne-pug] A brief note on list administration

Tennessee Leeuwenburg tleeuwenburg at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 00:45:44 CET 2014

Hi all,

One of my roles in MPUG is to hit "accept" or "reject" on emails which are
sent to the list but are from unregistered email addresses, or, less
frequently, are held for other edge case reasons which I won't go into here.

The emails form unregistered addresses come in a few categories, which I
list in order of greatest number to least:

   1. Emails from subscribers who appear to be using a different email
address to their registered email address. Usually these are *replies* to
messages originating from the list.

   2. Email announcements from relevant sources who haven't bothered to
subscribe

   3. Unwanted spam

I can understand categories 2 and 3. I don't really understand category 1.

In particular, I can't understand why those people don't see a bounce
notification and immediately either register their additional address or
re-send the email from a registered address. The results are a fairly
manageable amount of work for me, and delayed emails to the list. We have a
couple of list admins, but I tend to do the triage here and that's totally
fine.

I just thought I'd bring the issue to the attention of members. I'm not a
mailman expert, so I don't really know how to tune the settings optimally.
If you're someone who has been affected by this, and you can think of a way
to improve this either at your end or my end, please let me know.

Cheers,
-T

Tennessee Leeuwenburg
http://myownhat.blogspot.com/