[melbourne-pug] What's New in Python: April edition

Ed Schofield ed at pythoncharmers.com
Wed Mar 19 04:50:04 CET 2014

Hi everyone,

Python 3.4 is out! Here’s the What’s New page: http://docs.python.org/3.4/whatsnew/3.4.html

In other breaking news, it looks likely that Python 3.5 will (finally) have a dedicated infix operator for matrix multiplication. PEP 465 has the details: http://legacy.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0465/. Guido has indicated he’s willing to accept it (with the syntax "a @ b") once a few remaining details have been worked out. This will be a great step forward for Python’s huge community in data analysis, science, engineering, econometrics, statistics, and other analytical fields. This will also be a big carrot for Python 3.x adoption in these communities.

I’d be happy to coordinate the first What’s New in Python session on 7 April. Let's aim to make it highly interactive, as Lars suggests.

Lars, thanks for the great idea of running these as a regular feature of our meetings!

Best wishes,
    Ed

--
Dr. Edward Schofield