[melbourne-pug] The One True way to structure repositories for common code re-use

Noon Silk noonslists at gmail.com
Tue May 6 05:35:35 CEST 2014

> >   2) Local copy as symlink to a clone or fork as above
>
> This is my preference, which I started doing when I decided I would
> never ever ever have setuptools even installed on my personal machine
> again.  It means you can manage different versions of dependencies on
> a per-project basis, and have almost complete control over the module
> search path (even per entry-point).

Yeah, this is also what I do for vim plugins, (or at least new ones). And
clearly this is the ultimate model of development practices, so should be
adopted everywhere :)

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

On Tue, May 6, 2014 at 11:08 AM, William ML Leslie <
william.leslie.ttg at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6 May 2014 10:45, Noon Silk <noonslists at gmail.com> wrote:
> >   1) Local copy in your repo either as:
> >     - Subrepo pointing at source,
>
> This is the common practice at work, using braid within a git repo
> rather than the built-in sub-repository functionality.  Braid is
> flaky, uses the wrong APIs into git (changing your locale can prevent
> it working), but may at any given time work.  Local changes are
> possible, but merging upstream back in requires using an intermediate
> repository (at least, that's the only way I've gotten it to work).
>
> >   2) Local copy as symlink to a clone or fork as above
>
> This is my preference, which I started doing when I decided I would
> never ever ever have setuptools even installed on my personal machine
> again.  It means you can manage different versions of dependencies on
> a per-project basis, and have almost complete control over the module
> search path (even per entry-point).
>
> --
> William Leslie
>
> Notice:
> Likely much of this email is, by the nature of copyright, covered
> under copyright law.  You absolutely MAY reproduce any part of it in
> accordance with the copyright law of the nation you are reading this
> in.  Any attempt to DENY YOU THOSE RIGHTS would be illegal without
> prior contractual agreement.

Noon Silk

Fancy a quantum lunch? https://sites.google.com/site/quantumlunch/

"Every morning when I wake up, I experience an exquisite joy -- the joy
of being this signature."