[PYTHON META-SIG] __doc__-string SIG?

Jim Fulton, U.S. Geological Survey jfulton@usgs.gov
Tue, 29 Aug 1995 15:34:50 -0400

On Tue, 29 Aug 1995 15:10:32 -0400 (EDT)
Ken Manheimer said:
> On Tue, 29 Aug 1995, Jim Fulton, U.S. Geological Survey wrote:
>
> > Wasn't someone supposed to start a SIG on __doc__-string style (and
> > perhaps organization) issues?  Or is this part of a broader
> > documentation sig?
>
> I would not expect docstrings to warrant a sig of their own.  I could see
> it being part of a broader documentation sig, were such a thing in full
> swing, but i think at this point, at least, it would be best to just post
> your ideas to the list at large.

Hm.  Ok, will do.

> Which brings me to ponder exactly when a sig is, and when it is not,
> suitable.
>
> I'm inclined to think ("inclined to think" - odd image:) that sigs should
> be reserved for ongoing, specific issues, but that the list-at-large
> should be used for everything else:
>
>  - questions (and answers)
>  - one-shot, general, and transient discussions
>  - announcements of SIG events:
>    - introductions of new sigs/sig topics
>    - conclusions and intermediate resolutions reached on the SIGs
>    - In addition, i think it would be good to have proposals produced in
     sigs, particularly language-enhancement proposals and such, to be
>      aired on the list at large once they're resolved, and discussed on
>      the list at large, perhaps, for final contributions.
>  - flamage and language wars (not!-)

Agreed.

> Which also brings me to something i meant to ask - has anyone announced
> the new sigs on the list-at-large, or have plans to do so?

I plan to announce the matrix and gui sigs real soon. (I still need to
check my gui-sig writeup against my notes from the workshop.)

> I'm thinking
> it would be a good idea, and it would be good to take the opportunity to
> include a plug for PSA membership along with it.  Which would mean holding
> off until paul's efforts to compose some kind of PSA registration form is
> done.

I'd hate to hold up these two sigs.  There's some desire to get going
with the matrix sig, which after all is a clean and fairly small task.
We really need to get going with the gui work if we are going to be
ready for the next workshop.

> > I've been working with __doc__ strings quite a bit lately in
> > preparation for some software releases and am collecting some
> > questions and opinions.
>
> I'll be interested to see what's up.  I think your questions and thoughts
> about exposing object docstrings (and types) without generating instances
> of the objects are important...

Cool.  But there hasn't been much comment on the list.  (I did get a
note from Don Beaudry.)  I'll post my recent experiences with an
interim "solution" soon.

Jim