[PYTHON META-SIG] RFC: TEXT-SIG

Barry A. Warsaw Barry A. Warsaw" <bwarsaw@CNRI.Reston.Va.US
Tue, 3 Dec 1996 11:21:09 -0500

    GS> Would something like a free-text searching engine fall into
    GS> this SIG? People have rumbled about having that for about a
    GS> year now...

My vote would be no.  I'm all for starting an IR-SIG or some such at a
later date, but I think this sig should concentrate on improving the
language's intrinsic string manipulation features.  I think it's
primary goal should be a new regular expression module with secondary
issues such as string interpolation open for discussion.  I think
those are going to be big and tough enough, but with large potential
of payoff.

Keeping the sig's mission as focussed as possible increases the
chances of it's success.  I think that's the model we've come to favor
with the SIGs.

Given this view, maybe TEXT-SIG isn't the best name for it.  What
about STRING-SIG or REGEX-SIG?

-Barry