[PYTHON META-SIG] RFC: TEXT-SIG

Fred L. Drake fdrake@CNRI.Reston.Va.US
Wed, 4 Dec 1996 09:22:11 -0500 (EST)

> While I agree that this sig should be a focused thing, I don't feel
> that allowing other facets of text processing enter into it to be a

  I'm going to jump in here since I not only have an opinion, but
think that it's particularly relevant to the problem you're pointing
out.
  I don't think Barry was trying to separate things like high
performance string catenation from the regex-group or other aspects of
what's being called "text processing" here.  What I think Barry was
pointing out, and what my point is, is that these low level facilities
are very different from the larger document structuring / formatting
and information retrieval facilities which have also been mentioned.
I can envision a distinct separation of discussions of low-level from
high-level facilities; the participants may overlap, but probably not
too much.  I know my own interests lie entirely with the larger
document / IR topics; others may be interested only in regex or other
low-level string processing topics.
  I'd like to propose that the name for a SIG interested in low-level
string processing be called string-sig; a name can be picked for the
(potential) high level group when someone decides to start one.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.
fdrake@cnri.reston.va.us