[PYTHON META-SIG] Re: [PYTHONWIN-SIG] Creating sub-newsgroups

Jim Hugunin hugunin@mit.edu
Mon, 21 Oct 1996 14:33:43 -0400

> From: Guido van Rossum <guido@CNRI.Reston.Va.US>
>
> There's a discussion going on in pythonwin-sig that should be moved to
> meta-sig: whether to move the Windows traffic to the/a newsgroup.
>
> I'm redirecting this to the meta-sig; please reply to the meta-sig only.
>
> I wonder if we aren't ready to create a bunch of sub-newsgroups of
> comp.lang.python?  I'll leave it to others to propose an adequate set
> of subgroups -- have a look at what groups like Perl and Tcl have
> done...

>From my personal experience,  I think that NumPy was a great example of a
project that benefitted tremendously from the SIG mechanism.  On the other
hand, once this project is publically released (which will be real soon
now) it seems to me to make more sense to begin addressing questions on the
main newsgroup.  As NumPy usually has more traffic than PythonWin, this
might be a concern to readers of the main newsgroup.

In order to create sub-newsgroups we need to demonstrate that the traffic
on comp.lang.python is too high.  I'd say at the moment that's not true
(partially because of the traffic currently on the SIGs).

I'd propose that we move PythonWin back to the main newsgroup (as well as
NumPy after the public release).  Further, I think that posters should be
strongly encouraged to use a convention in their headers such as:

[Windows] How do I get Pythonwin to compile on X?
[Numeric] What's a singular value decomposition?

I think this would be a good way to both discover what the right subgroups
are (by seeing what sorts of prefixes become in common use) and to
demonstrate to usenet that there's enough volume on comp.lang.python to
justify splitting.

-Jim Hugunin