[PYTHON META-SIG] Re: meta-pattern-sig

M.-A. Lemburg lemburg@uni-duesseldorf.de
Tue, 01 Apr 1997 14:58:42 +0200

Michael McLay wrote:

> lemburg@uni-duesseldorf.de writes:
>  > Hmm. I had a look at the two links you mentioned. Digital Creations
>  > stuff look for talk'ing with your Browser, but doesn't seem to offer
>  > a way to organize files and related stuff. The other site looks
>  > somewhat unprofessional, but seems to support file upload.
>
> In what sense did you see it as unprofessional?

First, its user interface doesn't look too professional (compared to
DigiCools and BSCW) and then there are so many posting in the docs
area about bugs, enhancements and changes to the core functions, that
it doesn't give a good feeling of continuity... [apart from it using
frames, which a tool meant for a greater public should not count on]

>  > No, that's why I asked to consider installing a BSCW server at
>  > www.python.org.
>
> Ok, how do we get the code to see about doing a local installation.
> Ken Manheimer will need to do the work, so he'll need to become
> familiar with it.  (Part of the reason that having Jim do this might
> be more realistic is that Ken may not have time to do this task.
> Having Jim do it will be a freebe to the PSA, but Jim will probably
> want to use his own code since he is familiar with it.

You can download it from http://bscw.gmd.de. Installation is pretty
easy... If you just want to get used to it, try the sample workspace
area at the BSCW site.

>  > Well, we might agree on some common subject prefix, to easily
>  > recognize the postings, say [META-PATTERN-SIG] ?!
>
> That would be fine.

Ok, then we can start doing some real work now. Hmm. First assignment:
gather all hints, tricks, etc. you can find around the net and post
them under the subject '[META-PATTERN-SIG] hints and tricks' !

Please always mail cc: to either Dinu or me, so that we can work out
a well formatted collection.

(This doesn't mean that I'll forget about the idea of having a REAL
pattern-sig though ;-)

-- cheers,

Marc-Andre Lemburg           mailto:lemburg@uni-duesseldorf.de