[META-SIG] Terminating comatose SIGs

Ken Manheimer klm@python.org
Wed, 17 Dec 1997 12:21:50 -0500 (EST)

The defunct-sigs issue has been around for a while, and i've been slow
about taking action on it.  I've finally taken a few steps, from some
good ideas suggested here (and advocated by guido for a while).  Here's
what i've done.

1 I've instituted a wrap-up date for sigs, described it on the SIGs
  home page - http://www.python.org/sigs , and created a column for it
  in the SIGs table on that page.

2 I've assigned wrap-up dates of *today* for several of the SIGs that
  guido identified as inactive (according to very low SIG maillist
  traffic)

3 I retired the inactive SIG entries to a new inactive-sigs page -
  http://www.python.org/sigs/inactives.html .  (I left the thread-sig
  with a wrap-up date of May 98, as requested by greg.)

Despite suggestions about making the criteria for creating a SIG more
stringent - eg, have some code to show - i'm inclined to think the
current procedure is fine.  I can appreciate the incentive for requiring
some code - ie, evidence of some real effort, not just enthusiasm - but
also think there are sigs worth having that do not necessarily have any
clear tangible product to justify their existence.  And i think SIG
retirement should account for the potential for clutter inherent in the
current, somewhat loose procedure.  I think the looseness is worthwhile,
provided it isn't a burden.

(I'm hoping in the next few weeks to play seriously with mailman,
potentially relieving the bulk of the burden in creating SIGs: the
majordomo reconfiguration that barry has to do, and the SIG archive
infrastructure setup that i do, to create a SIG.)

Any suggestions or objections to the changes are welcome...

Ken Manheimer		  klm@python.org	    703 620-8990 x268
	    (orporation for National Research |nitiatives

		   # Thanks for joining the PSA!  #
		    # http://www.python.org/psa/ #