[META-SIG] Terminating comatose SIGs

Geoffrey M. Furnish furnish@xdiv.lanl.gov
Thu, 18 Dec 1997 17:12:21 GMT

Guido,

Thanks for your response.  Unfortunately I am leaving town in three
hours, and will be incommunicado until the second week of January.
Would it be okay to discuss this more then?

The very very short response to this which I can muster now is:
1) Sure, Paul and I could work without a SIG.  But, that would only
cover Paul and me.  It is quite clear that there are multiple plans
being worked on by multiple people, regarding interfacing C++ and
Python.  Having a SIG provides a forum for cross fertilization between
these projects.  Hopefully a coherent plan will emerge that enough
people will be happy with that we can submit it to you for direct
inclusion in the Python distribution.  And although I have personal
ideas about what I think such an interface should look like, I
certainly want both to see what others are doing, and to have them see
what I am doing, before such a direct proposal is submitted to you.
I agree that not enough of that has occurred.  But I
think of the sig as a forum to encourage interaction.  The
encouragement for cross fertilization is eliminated if the sig is
eliminated.  In particular, I /cannot/ host a multi-party
multi-project discussion forum through a LANL web page.  I have to get
lab legal to bless every word that goes on the web, and I don't wish
to go through the effort of trying to push something through them like
that, since it makes them think they're paying me to work for others.
The arrangement with the PSA is quite different.  The appearance of
participation in an external professional forum is something the lab
lawyerheads can understand.
2) I would suggest a SIG wrapup review/consideration date of 12/99.
3) Regarding your inquiry which I take to have been "Was I blowing
smoke about the supposed chilling effect of shutting down a sig?".
No, I was not blowing smoke.  I mentioned to some people here
yesterday that Guido was planning to shut down the C++ sig for lack of
traffic, and the reaction was shock and substantive annoyance.  I
repeat what I said before, it is absolutely beyond me how such an action
were it to be taken, could be regarded as good PR.
With specific reference to this comment:
 > Is this really so?  I am proposing to shut down several unused
 > channels.  What's the damage?  I am not excluding your labs from any
 > kind of participation (far from it).
let me just say, you have no earthly idea how hard it is for people in
defense laboratories to collaborate outside.  There is actually,
believe it or not, serious question about the legality of lab
employees making posts to usenet.  Participation on c.l.p can only be
done with great care, and the potential cost of a screwup is so great
(possible loss of a clearance and termination of employment) that most
lab employees read usenet, but avoid posting.
4) I do agree that resources should be reaped when they have served
their purpose, and I certianly don't intend to vanish from the Python
community leaving you with a defunct sig.  I do not view the C++ sig
as having completed its job, or as having disbanded for lack of
interest.  I interpret the low volume as people working hard on their
jobs.  If you measure "interest" by subscriptions instead of by
message volume, for instance, you would see that the sig has seen a
continuing flow of new subscritpions over the fall months.
5) Sure, having a sig requires /some/ resources.  I also run other
mailing lists for other projects, and those I have had to setup and
administer myself.  So, with some basis in personal experience, I
would say that I do not believe the work involved warants shutting
down a forum like the C++ sig just because of a quiet period.  Its not
like the sig has seen a huge streaming of unsubscriptions as a result
of people getting pissed off because of an unresolvable argument or
something.  I interpret just as I've said: People are busy, they're
still interested, work is being done, when people have things to say,
they'll say 'em.  In view of this analysis, shutting down the sig does
not seem like the right move to me.

Gotta go, let's take it up again in early Jan.  If you want to send me
mail early while ideas are fresh in your mind, that's fine, but I
won't be able to respond anymore today, or again until January.

Cheers,